Saturday, December 20, 2008

All Mineral Makeup, All the Time

Why mineral makeup for the Faerie? The answer is simple m'friends...

Allergies.

Apparently I am allergic to some common makeup preservatives and I get a rash from applying more that a few well-known makeup brands. These brands include but are not limited to: MAC, Rimmel, Neutrogena, L'Oreal, Avon, and Mary Kay (which I used to sell and love), just to name a few. So I had no problem throwing them out even though I hadn't used them in a long time when I found out that many makeup products are contaminated with heavy metals (including mercury and lead) and they can be sold without disclaimers to women (and men) stating that they may contain "trace amounts". See the problem with trace amounts of a heavy metal is that they can and will build up over time. They don't flush themselves out of the body without assistance. So, I just tossed them out and resigned myself to a "makeup free existence".

But the problem with this is simple... I love makeup. I really do! There is something about a well made up face that just appeals to my inner sense of ascetics. Maybe it's my own personal vanity, but cosmetic free skin isn't for me. Then again, that may have something to do with my own ethnic mix, which causes me to have two different shades of skin on my face, making it rather depressing for me to see when I look in the mirror. While my skin isn't horrible because I do take care of it, I do prefer to have it all the same basic color.

Don't get me wrong, a LOT of women have a natural beauty that cosmetics only hide... those women deserve to show it off. However that's not me and I'm not afraid to admit that.

About six months ago I started surfing Etsy seriously looking for good mineral makeup sellers. These people are devoted to providing small batch minerals to the public, most of them at decent prices. I mean seriously... MAC wants $18 (or thereabouts) for a single eyeshadow! That's not "doable" to those of us who pinch pennies unless we want to charge our beauty items to credit cards, causing debt that we really can't afford.

This blog is meant to simply chronicle my experiences with sellers and their products, both good and bad. Nothing here is meant to slam ANY seller. What works for me (and what doesn't) doesn't guarantee that it will work for you. If you think that I'm wrong, or if a review that I give doesn't suit you or your skin type, please feel free to try them for yourself (or don't, that's totally up to you).

No comments:

Post a Comment